Compiled By: Rtn Gangaram Shamdas Purswani (P.H.F.)
Larkana District (Sindhi: ضلعو لاڙڪاڻو; Urdu: ضلع لاڑکانہ) is a district of Sindh province of Pakistan . Its main city is Larkana. It is home district of two former Prime Ministers of Pakistan, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto and also the district of former Chief Minister of Sindh, Mumtaz Ali Bhutto. Actress Sohai Ali Abro and also Folk Singer Abida Parveen belongs to Larkana.
Other towns of the district include Ratodero, Dokri, Bakrani and Naodero. In 2005, the Government of Pakistan under Pervez Musharraf bifurcated the district, forming a new district called Qamber and Shahdadkot, with two towns of Qambar Khan and Shahdadkot.
Some 10 km away from Larkana city, sugarcane is cultivated and processed at the Larkana Sugar Mills (Pvt) Ltd. which was inaugurated by then Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto on January 30, 1974.
Larkana’s guava and berries are famous both nationally and internationally, the annual output of the district stands at thousands of tons. All the villages of Larkana on the right bank of River Indus have vast guava orchids spread over thousands of acres, located in Dodai, Mahotta, Naudero, Chooharpur, Agani, Metla, Izzat Ji Wandh, Phulpota and other villages.
Larkana (Urdu: لاڑکانہ, romanized: lāṛkāna; Sindhi: لاڙڪاڻو, romanized: lāṛkāṇo) is a city located in the Sindh province of Pakistan. It is called the city of Holy Alams (Shia Muslims’ religious flag) due to the greatest number of Holy Alams as compared to other cities or regions of the world. It is the 15th largest city of Pakistan by population. It is home to the Indus Valley Civilization site Mohenjo-daro. The historic Indus River flows in south of the city. The city is located within Larkana District. Formerly known as “Chandka”, Larkana is located on the south bank of the Ghar canal, about 40 miles (64 km) south of the town Shikarpur, and 36 miles (58 km) northeast of Mehar. According to the 2017 Census of Pakistan, its population is 490,508. Therefore, it is the fourth most populated city of Sindh province after Karachi, Hyderabad, and Sukkur. Moreover, Larkana city has been placed as fifteenth largest of Pakistan during Census 2017.
Larkana, town and district, Sukkur division, Sindh province, Pakistan. The town, the district headquarters, lies on the Ghar Canal just west of the Indus River; it derives its name from the neighbouring Larak tribe. A railway junction, it is divided into two parts by the rail lines: the old city to the east and Lahori village and the Civil Lines (mostly official residences) to the west. It was incorporated as a municipality in 1855. It is an important grain-marketing and trade centre and is noted for its brass and metalware. A number of markets, bazaars, and shopping centres are located there, including the John F. Kennedy Market. Larkana has historically been known for its gardens and parks, some of which have been maintained. Once the capital of Sindh under the Kalhoras, it contains many historic buildings.
Larkana district, formed in 1901, occupies a fertile plain known as the “Garden of Sindh,” except for its mountainous western portion (Kirthar Range). Irrigated by canals, the plain yields sugarcane, wheat, rice, gram, rape, and fruit such as guavas, mangoes, and dates. Camel breeding is widespread, and there are numerous rice-husking, flour, and dyeing mills. Coarse salt and saltpetre are easily obtainable. Mohenjo-daro (“Mound of the Dead”), a key archaeological site of the Indus valley civilization (c. 2500 BCE), lies 15 miles (24 km) south of Larkana, and there is an airport nearby. Local schools and educational institutions include Cadet College Larkana, Chandka Medical College, and Sir Shahnawaz Bhutto Library. The seat of the prominent Bhutto family, the district is also the site of the ancestral cemetery where former prime ministers Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto are buried. Pop. (1998 prelim.) 270,366.
Larkana, the fourth largest city of the province, Sindh, is known as “Eden of Sindh”. The city has a great historical significance and is closely associated with some of the famous political personalities of Pakistan. Surrounding areas of Larkana include Shikarpur town, Sukkur, Ghar canal and many archeological sites such as Mohenjo-Daro.
Cadet College Larkana, was inaugurated by the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Benazir Bhutto in 1994, first planned by her late father Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto in 1975. The College is located 24 kilometres (15 mi) away from Larkana, and some 3 kilometres from Moen-jo-Daro. Now there are colleges universities
- Govt. Degree College Larkana
- Shaheed Zufiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology Larkana
- Govt. College of Technology Larkana
- Sindh Science College Larkana
- Global Science College Larkana
- Govt. Chandka Medical College Larkana
- Benazir College of Nursing
- QUEST Larkana
- Allama Open University Larkana
Moenjodaro Airport is located near Mohen-jo-daro, 28 km away to the south of the city of Larkana, about 5 kilometres away from Dokri. The main users of the airport are Pakistan International Airlines, the country’s national flag-carrier. The outdated infrastructure of the airport prevents the use of large, advanced aircraft, with the PIA largely using Fokker aeroplanes for flights.
Larkana Cricket Stadium alternatively called as Shaheed Mohtarama Benazir Bhutto International Cricket Stadium was built by Pakistan Cricket Board in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh near the tomb of Benazir Bhutto.
Larkana is situated at Latitude 24 56′ 00′ and Longitude 67 11′ 00′. It is situated in northwest part of Sindh and it has own division. It is also included in Upper Sindh.
Larkana has a hot desert climate (Köppen climate classification BWh) with extremely hot summers and mild winters. The highest recorded temperature is 53 °C (127 °F), and the lowest recorded temperature is −4 °C (25 °F). The annual rainfall is 127.4 mm (5.02 in), and mainly occurs in the monsoon season (July–September). The highest annual rainfall ever is 580.2 mm (22.84 in), recorded in 1994 and the lowest annual rainfall ever is 7.1 mm (0.28 in), recorded in 1938.